TV channels

Someone asked me a question that I'm sure someone on this list can answer.

VCRs always use either channel 3 or channel 4, apparently assuming that one
or the other will be free in every market.  Are there never stations in the
same market on both channel 3 and channel 4?  If this is so, why, since
there are stations on channel 4 and 5 in the same market?

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                     617.367.0468
  15 Court Square                              lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/