Re: TV channels

At 8:58 PM -0500 2/27/00, A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>Someone asked me a question that I'm sure someone on this list can answer.
>
>VCRs always use either channel 3 or channel 4, apparently assuming
>that one or the other will be free in every market.  Are there never
>stations in the same market on both channel 3 and channel 4?  If
>this is so, why, since there are stations on channel 4 and 5 in the
>same market?

Channels 3 and 4 cannot be assigned in the same market because they
are actually adjacent frequencies.  Channels 4 and 5 are not actually
adjacent, there is a 4 MHz gap between them, used for other purposes.
I believe the gap frequencies (72 - 76 MHz) were originally used for
land-mobile services, I'm not sure what they're used for today, if
much at all, but I'm sure someone on the list will supply the answer.
--

---
Larry Weil