Re: Towers!

<<On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:14:58 -0500 (EST), Sven Weil <sven@lily.org> said:

> As far as the tallest FM/TV tower in the USA...I think the vote goes to
> Sutro Tower in San Fransisco.

I doubt it.  There are any number of towers in the South and Midwest
which are taller than Sutro.

A more interesting challeng might be: what is the *highest* broadcast
antenna (measured as RCAMSL -- radiation center above mean sea
level).  Here are some numbers for FMs only in nearby states:

Massachusetts: WAMC (Albany, N.Y.), 1073 m
Vermont: WEZF (Burlington), 1271 m
New Hampshire (and all New England): WPKQ (Berlin), 1938 m
Connecticut: WRCH (New Britain), 475 m
Maine: WMEA (Portland), 731 m
Rhode Island: WPRO-FM (Providence), 230 m

New York: WXLH (Blue Mountain Lake), 1160 m

North Carolina (and probably the entire East): WMIT (Black Mountain), 2037 m

As for the whole country, my guess would be some mountaintop
translator in the Rockies, like K280DZ (Leadville, Colo.) at 4092 m.
(The highest full-power FM in Colorado is currently KYSL Frisco at
3549 m, but will be KBNG Silverton (3926 m) if that CP is built.)

-GAWollman