RE: WTIC (AM) anniversary broadcast

At 09:37 AM 2/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:
> >Doesn't the WTIC-AM signal reach out that far? I remember getting them
> >crystal clear at my house in Great Barrington, MA (some 45 miles North West
> >of Hartford) when I was little.
>
>        IMO, though, WTIC doesn't put out as strong as a signal as it
>might. I wonder if they actually make the 0.5 mv contour I have on a
>coverage map from the 1950s.

As Connecticut's only 50,000 watt AM station, I have always been surprised
by WTIC's iffy signal coverage around the state.  Here in Fairfield County
it's basically a no go. Totally useless in the car.  If I hook up the Kiwa
Loop, WBZ come in about as strong and Boston's maybe 4 times the distance
away. Both stations within the same general area of the band.  On the plus
side, I used to pick up WTIC-AM clearly in New Hampshire, during the day on
my car radio, as a kid.  Love those old Delcos.  In the FCC's view,
Fairfield County is considered the New York market.  This cause havoc to
must carry stations regs on cable systems. NYC stations could care less
about Connecticut.  CT stations do a poor jo with tv coverage, although I
have seen improved from Channel 30 and 8 in this area. Channel 3 rarely
covers Fairfield County.  NYC stations talk about serving the Tri-state
area, but reality shows support for NY/NJ and CT only if there's a train
wreck,  the lottery lines are long at the border, or murder trials of note,
a la Greenwich. Kennedy's don't affect NY media coverage, as much as they
do in Boston :)
Pete