AM (was Re: LPFM Rules)

At 09:34 PM 2/1/00 -0500, Martin J. Waters wrote:
> My
>mother-in-law's comment to me, with a great combination of disgust,
>contempt and amazement that anyone would use this station, was, "I don't
>even know what number that's on. It's AM. No one listens to AM anymore."
>        Sigh.

Why do so many people on this list have such a hard time accepting this?
Ask pretty much anyone who's not a radio geek (and a lot who are) when the
last time they listened to an AM station was, and if you're lucky you'll
get a blank look.  My parents, also in their 70s & 80s almost never listen
to AM either.  My father listens to the same station he's listened to for
30+ years...WHOM.  As the southern Vt & western Mass. AM stations dropped
their Sunday morning polka party shows, it was just one less reason to
listen.