Re: LPFM Rules

And WTIC is a relatively healthy AM, as those things go these days...

The only reasons left to listen to AM, from an AM fan, and all of them
apply only to when in the car:

1) News. In most markets only FM stations give much of it (even if it's
pitifully little even on AM these days). I'm lucky enough to be able to get
WCBS-AM fuzzy in the car, too.

2) Sports. Most of it's still on AM.

3) Yes, I still get a little thrill out catching a distant signal at
night... of course, that has not a whit to do with program content.

And that's it. At home, I haven't listened to the radio in 10 years except
when we lost power. I may moan about TV, but it's what plays in the
background all day. (112 different video and 40 different audio-only music
channels (not including PPV, ad and promo channels and local access), plus
NHL and MLB packages; usually I can find something better than radio has to
offer, I fear. And if that fails, I can tune in a distant radio station
with a few mouse clicks, from even further than Fort Wayne or Cincinatti...
and even in the daytime.)

Sad. I almost sorta kinda liked the days when radio was the first choice
better.

At 09:34 PM 2/1/00 -0500, Martin J. Waters wrote:
    My mother-in-law, in her 70s, told a story last week that she had
>trouble finding out whether there was a snow cancellation by an
>organization she is connected with. The event was canceled, and when she
>complained later to someone there that she listened to the radio but never
>heard the cancellation, she was told that the organization (which is mostly
>involved with elderly people) has the announcements made on WTIC (AM). My
>mother-in-law's comment to me, with a great combination of disgust,
>contempt and amazement that anyone would use this station, was, "I don't
>even know what number that's on. It's AM. No one listens to AM anymore."
>        Sigh.

Douglas J. Broda
Broda and Burnett
Attorneys at Law