Re: WARE-WKBR

Well, you asked the right guy, having done the proofs on WKBR a few years
back, required to resurrect it from the dead.   KBR started in 1946 as a 250w
or 500w station on 1240.  Then in late 1959, it went 5kw DA-2, and moved to
1250.  So, actually WARE was on 1250 first.  KBR has had the same night
pattern since 1959, but since '59 the day pattern changed somewhere around
1964.    K's night pattern is a big bubble going northeast, east, southeast,
south and south-south-west.  But it's two nulls: one goes right at WARE and
the other goes north-north-west,  and a tiny nipple protruding to the
west-north-west.   K's signal at night only goes about 5 miles in the two
nulls.
    A station that no one has thought of, is the actual one that hurts KBR
the most at night, and that is WMTR 1250 in Morristown NJ.
    BTW, WARE is only 59 air-miles from KBR's Goffstown 5-tower site.  So a
move by WARE further towards Worcester would be a tight fit.  A very crowded
frequency.
    For you directional array freaks out there, KBR uses: At night, 4 towers
in a row, not quite east-west, but tilted,  as tower site is west-north-west
of Manchester.  At daytime, KBR uses 3 towers in a triangle to produce a
signal going north, south and west.    In all, there are 5 towers.  A very
interesting array.  Love it!  Had I not accidentally gotten Worcester (WNEB)
at the same time, I would have kept WKBR.
------jibguy