Re: 1060 Engineering Question

Since its return to the air three years ago, 1060 has
been diplexed with WKOX, but until now has been
nondirectional. The new high-power signal is directional
(two towers) with the signal aimed to the north-
northeast (35 degrees) and a null centered at 215
degrees. The non-critical hours pattern has a rather
deep and fairly broad null (equivalent to about 500W at
the deepest). The CH pattern theoretically has two
sharper and narrower nulls (at 180 and 250 degrees),
equivalent to less than 60W, with a small lobe between
them at 215 degrees equivalent to just over 1 kW. In
practice, as indicated by the augmented pattern, the
null at 180 degrees doesn't exist, probably because of
reradiation of the signal by the tall chimney at the
Framingham municipal incinerator across Mt Wayte Ave,
north of the site.

Low-power nighttime operation ought to be possible from
the WKOX site. My guess is that WMEX could get perhaps
150W or so. However, I believe that the somewhat higher
power that ought to become avaiable from Philadelphia
sunset until two hours past Framingham sunset and from
6:00 AM to Framingham sunrise is a better deal for the
station. Evenings aren't terribly profitable and
overnights are less so. A PSRA and PSSA should allow
more worthwhile power during AM and PM drive in mid-
winter. November and December are historically the
highest-billing months for radio stations.

WDIS's site might also have been feasible for 1060, but
since the construction in Framingham has been completed
at considerable expense, why would Langer now consider
another site? If I recall, the 1170 towers are 200'
tall, which is tall enough for 1060, and are spaced
about 146 degrees apart at 1060. A pair of towers spaced
that far apart produces a pattern resembling WEZE's--
much wider than the modified cardioid produced by the
WKOX towers, which are 70 degrees apart at 1060. 1060's
old array in Ashland, now used by 890, is on a due east-
west line. The 1170 towers are on a 279-degree (west-
northwest to east-southeast) line to protect the station
in Orleans. The WDIS towers might work for 1060,
although 1060 and 1170 are a bit too close in frequency
for comfort. Moreover, the orientation and spacing of
the WKOX twoers is probably more favorable for
protecting KYW.

Two towers are not enough to get appreciable nighttime
power on 1060. The WKOX towers are in a much more
populous area than are the 1170 towers. Being in a
densely populated area is important for a station that
runs really low power at night. Also, the WKOX towers,
which are 440' tall and are top loaded, are much more
efficient than the 1170 towers. Although it mystifies
me, WMEX is apparently going to be permitted to run 40
kW during non-critical hours. I thought that with the
high efficiency of the WKOX towers, WMEX would be
required to reduce its power somewhat to protect WBZ,
but apparently not.