Re: Say Goodbye To WXKS-AM (Was: Re: WPTR Again)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:02:43   dan.strassberg wrote:
>AMFM also owns KABL, which, like KNEW, is >licensed to Oakland and is just 50 kHz up the >dial from KNEW. Both stations have similar >facilities (5 kW-U) and both cover
>Silicon valley quite nicely.

AMFM actually began stripping KNEW-AM
last year by moving A's broadcasts to KABL-AM.
KNEW-AM is just a simulcast of a soft AC FM station right now. It doesn't have much in common with a personality-driven KABL in terms
of programming...

> For a couple of years now,  KABL has aired a swing format, which is a mix of adult
>standards and newer swing groups such as
> Cherry Poppin'  Daddies, Big Bad Vodoo Daddy,
> and Squirrel Nut Zippers.
> The idea  apparently, is to appeal not only to the
> older demos but also to Gen-Xers, among whom > swing is allegedly very popular.

You're about a generation off and a year or two late with this one. The reborn swing sound actually took off with a much younger 15-25
segment which was buying most
of these bands two years ago when the trend
was in. The swing market has cooled off
drastically since then and most of these
bands are no longer charting on any modern AC
or modern rock stations.

GenXers are in the 25-35 age bracket(they are
the ones who will be buying all Totally 80's retro Rhino sets this year...:)

>About a year ago, AMFM exported  the format to >KLAC in Los Angeles. I've not heard how the .
> format has been doing lately in either ?>
> market,

Yes, after the Westwood One deal expired, they
put on a local version of adult standards late
in November 1998. So far, it's at the bottom
of LA ratings.

>Yet I find it hard to believe I
>that wouldn't be bored to tears in 20 minutes >of listening to an all-high-tech-all-
>the-time radio station. I doubt whether many
> of the companies that sell to information->technology and engineering professionals see >radio as a particularly good medium for >delivering their message to potential
>purchasers and specifiers of their products >and services.

First, you seem to exhibit a certain amount of
disrespect and hostility toward anyone who's not as technically savvy as yourself...Maybe
you should lay back a bit and broaden your
view of the universe....

Second, the format will not will be all-tech-all-the-time. It will only run from 5:30am to 7pm. Evenings and overnights will feature totally different format(KNEW will keep simulcasting FM signal from 7pm to 5:30am) :

Mornings will sound like any typical radio program carrying traffic,weather reports,
the news of the day. Of course, there will be
a heavy emphasis on news associated with the new technologies and new economies...

Midday will be focused on lifestyle, from shopping to the impact computers have in the
classroom to going on vacation. There'll be
listener call-in's and questions...

Afternoons, will pretty much mirror the AM-drive with more market updates...

I am not sure about Boston but according AMFM's plans, LA is going to be the next market for CNET Radio as soon as Clear CHannel-AMFM deal closes this spring. CC-AMFM will own 4 AMs(one
will be divested because they'll keep all
5FMs) -- KLAC, KEZY,KFI(from a swap with Cox),  KXTA...My bet is that KLAC will become
the CNET Radio station in the spring...

Anyway, the format arrives to http://www.cnetradio.com this Friday morning...

Jerry
---
Decker Media Consulting
Brooklyn,NY

LYCOShop is now open. On your mark, get set, SHOP!!!
http://shop.lycos.com/