Re: Say Goodbye To WXKS-AM (Was: Re: WPTR Again)

Endaeavoring to reply politely, since I agree with some of your statements
but think you were unnecessarily unkind elsewhere:

At 06:19 PM 1/10/00 -0500, Jerry Decker wrote:

>AMFM actually began stripping KNEW-AM
>last year by moving A's broadcasts to KABL-AM.
>KNEW-AM is just a simulcast of a soft AC FM station right now. It doesn't
have much in common with a personality-driven KABL in terms
>of programming...

I don't think Dan said that they had similar formats, but rather that they
had similar power and signal strength.

>You're about a generation off and a year or two late with this one. The
reborn swing sound actually > took off with a much younger 15-25 segment
which was buying most
>of these bands two years ago when the trend was in. The swing market has
cooled off
>drastically since then and most of these bands are no longer charting on
any modern AC
>or modern rock stations.

The demo that was attracted to the return of swing is debatable. VH1 aired
a good bit of it -- especially running one Brian Setzer song into the
ground -- and their demo is older than GenX. My impression was that the fad
crossed age groups rather well, though it also fizzled so fast you barely
noticed it.

>Second, the format will not will be all-tech-all-the-time. It will only
run from 5:30am to 7pm. Evenings and overnights will feature totally
different format(KNEW will keep simulcasting FM signal from 7pm to 5:30am) :

The format sounds generally like what I speculated it would be -- a tech
version of Bloomberg's format on WBBR in NYC, basically. And though
Bloomberg Radio does no numbers, it certainly has managed to survive re
billings, so I can't write this idea off aforehand. OTOH, I'm sorry to see
that they aren't going to have a complimentary (and creative) nighttime
part, rather than running a simulcast of an already-powerful station with a
non-complimentary format.

P.S. Why do I suspect that brokered weekends are part of the format?