Re: Say Goodbye To WXKS-AM (Was: Re: WPTR Again)

As with all of your predictions, this one COULD be
right, but, based--if nothing else--on the averages, it
won't be.

AMFM also owns KABL, which, like KNEW, is licensed to
Oakland and is just 50 kHz up the dial from KNEW. Both
stations have similar facilities (5 kW-U) and both cover
Silicon valley quite nicely. For a couple of years now,
KABL has aired a swing format, which is a mix of adult
standards and newer swing groups such as Cherry Poppin'
Daddies, Big Bad Vodoo Daddy, and Squirrel Nut Zippers.
The idea, apparently, is to appeal not only to the older
demos but also to Gen-Xers, among whom swing is
allegedly very popular. About a year ago, AMFM exported
the format to KLAC in Los Angeles. I've not heard how
the format has been doing lately in either market, but
I'm surprised that AMFM hasn't tried to bring it to WXKS
(AM); it wouldn't take a lot more than hard-drive-
cloning software to do so.

I think that swing is as likely a format for WXKS as
High Tech. High Tech is even more of a niche format than
financial talk. I am an electrical engineer and I write
for a trade magazine that circulates to other EEs. Yet I
find it hard to believe that I wouldn't be bored to
tears in 20 minutes of listening to an all-high-tech-all-
the-time radio station. I doubt whether many of the
companies that sell to information-technology and
engineering professionals see radio as a particularly
good medium for delivering their message to potential
purchasers and specifiers of their products and services.