Re: saying thank you

----- Original Message - Seriously snipped...-----
From: Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>

> I thought I
> would ask you too-- have you worked for an excellent owner, or did you
have
> a mentor who took a special interest in you in your early days of radio?
> So, who are some of the people from your past that you recall as having
> been a positive influence on your career... and how many of them are still
> in the business?

A couple of people come to mind - mostly from Fall River radio...

Robert and James Karam - owners of WHTB/WSAR Fall River.  I was 16 and could
have been considered dead weight in the WHTB newsroom.  The Karams saw
something in me...still not sure what...and kept me on board after they
bought the station from Frank Battaglia.  The Karams brought back local
ownership to the station and kept the station as - Hometown Radio.  Still
own both stations and OJournal - the Portuguese language paper in Bristol
County.

Bernie Sullivan - Longtime (30+ years) Fall River radio news voice.  While
his act was not polished by any sense of the imagination - Bernie taught me
the finer points of connections within police, fire and city hall in
relation to the news department.  He also taught me how to report the news
and not sensationalize.  Still with WSAR - although in a semi-retired state.

"Happy Hec" Gauthier - Longtime Fall River radio fav. morning person.
Taught me the finer points of music rotation without using computers or even
index cards, how to work a 14 hour remote (Fall River Celebrates America)
without a break...and how to pull off live Election Coverage despite the
fact that the two way radios wouldn't work - no matter what we tried.  Still
getting up at 4 AM for WSAR's morning show.

George Colajezzi - Station Manager WALE/WHTB.  Taught me how to announce
properly...and how not to laugh during a newscast while the owner was in
town listening to the station...very long story...also took me down memory
lane with his airchecks from California as well as WLNE Channel 6 in
Providence.  Recent former owner of WPEP in Taunton...not sure current
status.

Bill Macek - Current owner WINQ Winchendon, MA - Proved that automation/live
assist is not the death of a radio station and if done right can actually
sound great.  At last check - still owns WINQ 97.7 FM.

OK - so the message went on a little longer than expected.  But, whenever I
step into a booth - something from one of these people still ring into my
head...

Marc Lemay