saying thank you

So, a friend of mine on another list was asking who we thought were the
best people in radio of all time-- not necessarily the best in terms of
being famous nationally, but the best in terms of their positive influence
on our industry.  We hear so many negatives that it's easy to forget that
some of us got into radio because of somebody we admired.  I thought I
would ask you too-- have you worked for an excellent owner, or did you have
a mentor who took a special interest in you in your early days of radio?

For me, a person who comes to mind is the late Rick Sklar of WABC, one of
the most successful PDs of all time yet one of the most honest and
ethical.  I learnt a lot from him.  And when I first became a consultant,
one of the owners I worked with was as new as I was-- his name was Cicero
Green, and he was the president of a large African-American life insurance
company in North Carolina.   This was the first time he had ever bought a
station.  He hired me and the two years we worked together were a rare joy
in a sometimes cut-throat business.  He and I created a station in the
Richmond (Virginia) market that was very much like a Kiss 108 (in fact, the
late Sunny Joe White worked with me at the beginning) and we brought in
some young and talented people, along with some industry veterans.  Mr
Green treated everybody with kindess and courtesy-- he had goals and
expectations, but he always treated us like respected colleagues.  It was
one of the first times in that market when a staff had been ethnically
mixed-- there had been "all black stations" and of course, all white ones,
but the Kiss 108 model was still a new one in the early 80s, and it went
over extremely well.  In fact, the station went from #12 to #2, which I was
very happy about for obvious reasons-- but more than that, the entire staff
was thrilled to make Mr Green successful, since he had given us the
latitude to do what we needed to do to make the station work.  For me, it
was one of the first success stories I had in my consulting career, and
when you are just getting started and need to develop a track record,
that's a good thing.  But equally important to me was being trusted and
treated like a professional.   I never forgot Mr Green and we kept in touch
for years, long after he retired and got out of both life insurance and radio.

So, who are some of the people from your past that you recall as having
been a positive influence on your career... and how many of them are still
in the business?