Re: saying thank you

Ok everyone, don't laugh.

MAXWELL RICHMOND

Was he cheap?  YES
Was he impossible to work for?  YES

But he knew talent, and a lot of great ones passed thru 70 Brookline Av and
111-115 Broadway. Yes he ran things on a shoestring, but all he had was WMEX
and the 2 stations in Washington, and he had to compete against RKO General,
Westinghouse, CBS and the Herald-Traveler and more than held his own. He has
been gone now 28 years, but I have no doubt he would still be a player
today. I know his biggest regret was not buying a FM license when he was
offered one CHEAP ( WBOS in fact), but at the time he did not forsee FM
overtaking AM.

A little insight on Mac, he wanted NO part of increasing to 50 Kw, BUT he
also knew that the media buyers would be impressed....they would not look at
coverage maps, they just would see the 50kw...and he was heartbroken when
Arnie finally left him. Arnie designed ( again with short money) the 111-115
Broadway complex, and it worked.

And as I said earlier, he knew talent, and at least two got very nice deals
with major chains just to get them out of Boston, where they were hurting
their stations here.

Charlie Tuna to KHJ ( RKO) and Jerry williams to WBBM ( CBS)

Mac's brother Dick was clueless when he took over, and the station quickly
sank. The one big question I have 30 years later is where did NORMAN fit
into all this. We never did figure where he fit in the Richmond empire.