Re: Predictions for 2000

>(1) Consolidation will continue unabated. The FCC will lift the
>ceiling
>on the number of markets one owner can have TV stations

       DF -	At the risk of getting into the prediction game, I
will say the
   	restriction on cross ownership will be removed,  this may wait
	until the presidential election since the bill filed in the
senate to
	do this was Senator John McCain's.

>(15) As the year ends, Clear Channel will begin to float the idea of
>having all their radio music formats done by satellite, as an in-house
>project. This means the company will produce, for example, a 24/7
>satellite country format exclusively for those company stations
>programming country.

. The industry
>will be watching carefully. If satellite formats in big markets take
>off, it may mean the death knell for local radio.

         DF -	I have been predicting that this will happen since
the
	feeding frenzy of major corporations buying up stations
	began.  It is inevitable, it may not happen in 2000 but it
	will happen and when it does it will be marketed to non-
	company stations as well.

>(16) At most of those few music-formatted FM stations that still air
>newscasts in morning drive, that practice will cease (along with
>elimination of sports, and cutbacks in traffic and weather),

         DF -	I agree about the cuts in news and sports, that has
already
	occurred and the trend will continue. (Even if the onair offering

	doesn't change the trend of having companies like Metro and
	Shadow...now one company...provide the service and eliminate
	local control will)   I do think that at least here in
	New England/Boston traffic and weather will continue to play
	a major drive time role.

>Joseph Gallant
>To respond: Send E-Mail replies to: <not quite@hotmail.com>

	Pretty good read on the industry!