Re: the simplistic argument of employment at small stations ...

It appears the only disagreement here is on emphasis.  Part of the problem is simply the unknowns involved in the hiring process.  Having hired people in various different positions, I can tell you that it is really hard to judge people by a resume and an interview.  Unfortuantely, as a result, some employers simply set an arbitrary standard, such as a degree, as the easy way to make a decision.  If the person doesn't work out, the person doing the hiring has covered their ass on why they made the decision.  That said, if I was hiring someone and I had two candidates that seemd close in ability, I would hire the person with the degree.  Bruce Williams always tells people that complain about this issue that it may not be fair but it's the way things are so stop complaining and get your ticket punched (get a degree).

One thing that is nice about radio: you have the opportunity to prove your ability through your air check and that, in most cases, is the most important part of the hiring process.

As for Donna's example: there are many professions where a degree is required and you don't get the job without the credential.  Doctor, lawyer, many types of engineer, ect.

As for radio, one of the biggest problems I saw in my 15 years in the business was "managers" that have no ability to manage.  Being a good jock or a successful salesperson does not qualify you to manage people, a budget or anything else.  One of the positive aspects of the consolidation in radio is more professionalism and more managers with basic management skills.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine