RE: the simplistic argument of employment at small stations ...

Actually, Dan, you make my point..

>>I can tell you that it is really hard to judge people by a resume
>>and an interview.

I agree, however...

>>Unfortuantely, as a result, some employers
>>simply set an arbitrary standard, such as a degree, as the easy
>>way to make a decision.

Would you hire a person with BA in Art History over a 5 year exp Computer
Geek without a degree for your IT team?

I've seen it happen more than once. This is the point I'm trying to make.

BTW: Another irony is that I find myself in agreement with youv views at
least 3/4 of the time on 'philosophy' items (vs most of the folks on this
list), and I'm definitely a "free-market/cavaet emptor" kind of guy. I just
am trying to illustrate that even so, there are some bone-headed prejudices
out there, though I would NEVER want to legislate forced "non-degree"
employment quotas or some such nonsense, just so you know from where I
speak.

-Paul Hopfgarten
Derry NH