Re: the simplistic argument of employment at small stations ...

I don't disagree. I guess my point is that the real or perceived bias(?) towards having a degree crosses all fields, and is by no means limited to radio, or even limited to media.

Now, as for the merits of the degree, if it's in the discipline specified for the job, yes, it's an asset and should be considered. Where I have a problem is someone with a degree in discipline X, with about a 20% crossover into career Y gets the job over a HS Dip guy or gal that clearly has the experience in career Y.

It certainly cuts both ways, and no doubt, having a Bachelors Degree is superior to not having one. I simply believe that the decision -making process should not begin and end there, as I believe it frequently does.

-Paul Hopfgarten
Derry