Re: Why don't more stations webcast?

> Call me crazy, but, I envision a day that the devices will >match with
cellphones and cyber audio will be portable.
> Uncle Mel will likely hop on the bus by then.

It's already happening: My latest portable phone has a Web browser (pretty
crude, but it works) and an appointment scheduler. Access to Web audio is
just a couple of lines of software code away. Radios may be plentiful, but
phones are becoming ubiquitous. That should be alarming to anyone still in
the people-reaching business.

One of my (many) objections to IBOC digital radio is the fact that it leaves
broadcasting on an ancient platform that will be difficult to integrate with
the technology of personal communications devices. Web audio may make that
moot.

My daily listening schedule includes WSB in Atlanta, WBAL in Baltimore, and
KGO in San Francisco. I live in Naples, Florida. Wideband access in the home
takes Web audio into an entirely new and practical realm. PCS has the
bandwidth to do the same for wireless connections.

(Uncle Mel will come to the party when someone steps up to the table with a
pile of money to pay him for the use of all that talent he owns. He's been
smart enough to realize that because anyone can run a jukebox, the real
future in radio is in the software...a/k/a programming.)

R.L. Caron