Daytime skywave alert! (Was Re: AM DX surprise)

>Phyllis Werlin wrote:
>This morning I was surprised to hear CFRB on 1010 while travelling through
>Woburn at about 8 AM.  I have the button set for evening reception of WINS,
>but when I hit the button by accident, I heard the CFRB ID and the news from
>Toronto loud and clear.

        Today was like you usually get on some mid-winter days, although it
seems a little early in the season. Skywaves were coming in all day.
Between 11:55 a.m. and 1:15 p.m., EST, on the car radio in New Haven and
Hartford counties, in Conn., I heard a whole bunch of surprises. I got
WMDM, 1690 kHz, Lexington Park, Md. I had a couple other very faint signals
I could not ID on the ex-band where I usually hear nothing in the daytime.
        I had a decent signal from WFLR on 1570, 5 kW, Dundee, N.Y., from
the Finger Lakes region. WWKB/1520, was in with a really big signal almost
like it puts in at night. WNRB/1510, was on with a strong, obvious skywave
signal because it never comes in here on groundwave at more than a whisper.
WPHT/1210, was strong in Hartford. I could not get a positive ID on what I
think was WOWO mixing in with WLIB. And I had what I presume was WASA/1330
kHz, 5 kW, Havre de Grace, Md., based on an ad with a 410 area code number,
the same area code as the station's number.
        Some weak signals that usually are OK, had skywaves bothering them.
There was even a slight murmur here behind WBZ, which probably was the
Maryland and/or West Virginia daytimers.