Re: adios WARE

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> When I was a kid in New York in the 40s, there was
> ethnic radio too. WOV (now WADO) broadcast in Italian
> from sign-on to 7:00 PM and in English during the
> evenings and overnight.

WADO is now Spanish Talk

 WEVD (1330) broadcast primarily
> in Yiddish,

Now almost all English language leased access programs.

I don't recall what language or languages
> WBNX (now WKDM) broadcast in.

As WKDM it was a Spanish Top-40 station.  In 1993 or 94 it changed to
multi-ethnic fare (largely Spanish infomercials for natural medicine and
other quack remedies) under Arthur Liu's Multicultural B'casting.

WHOM (now WZRC, I believe)
> broadcast full-time in Italian.

Now owned by Liu, it's 100 percent Korean language under a lease with
Radio Korea NY.  As WHOM and WJIT it was a Spanish full-service and later
a news/talk station.  It was, I believe owned by Mel Karmazin's Infinity
Broadcasting and was the sister station to WXRK-FM (K-Rock 92.3)

And WWRL (believe it or
> not, the calls haven't changed) was multi-ethnic then
> and is Gospel (I think) now.

WWRL is now a hash of R&B, soul, Caribbian (reggae, soca, calypso) and
infomercials.  The station is suffering badly and from what I can see it's
probably switching slowly to Caribbean music - the death of the soul
format largely brought on by WBLS-FM (owned by black-owned Inner City
Broadcasting, who also own news/talk & caribbean music WLIB-ll90) and
Emmis-owned WRKS-FM 98.7 (KISS FM).  Too bad for WWRL - thier music mix
and DJs were better than either of the two FMs.