Montreal's 940 News is testing

Returned last night from a wonderful week-long vacation in
Montreal.

The old AM 940 is back on the air as CKNN (the new 940 News) running a
test loop advertising the station's new format which will debut in
December.  No sign of it's Francophone counterpart just yet.

 I kept checking the 940 khz frequency several times during the week and
was finally rewarded on Thursday night with the test broadcast.

I also got a chance to listen to CBM-FM (CBC Radio 1) and CBF-FM's (CBC
Premiere Chaine) signals on their new
dial positions.  The mono signal is ok in Downtown Montreal if you keep
the radio stationary (sitting on a table or something).  Once you start
walking around, reception is atrocious.  Last I read the CBC was planning
on improving the signal in the city. Mobile reception on CBC-Radio 2
(93.5) and CBC Chaine Culturelle (100.7) was slightly better.

I also took a few shots of the Mount Royal stick.  I hope they come out
nice because I plan on scanning them and putting them on line together
with pictures of Sutro Tower in San Fransisco.

Scott & Garrett if you guys don't have any pictures of these 2 antennae
let me know so I can send you guys the files.

Also got a chance to listen to Montreal's second newest AM station CJMS
1040 doing French country music - with some anglophone country
sprinkled here and there with francophone deejays.  The station does toss
out quite a clear signal into downtown.  They were playing pretty good on
my Radio shack AM pocket radio.

--
Sven F. Weil
e-mail: sven@lily.org