Re: adios WARE

Mr. Strassberg wrote about ethnic radio in 1940s New York:

> I don't recall what language or languages
> WBNX (now WKDM) broadcast in.

No wonder.  An ad in the 1945 Radio Annual claims English, Italian,
German, Jewish, and Polish programming.  The 1948 book just refers to
"English and foreign language" programming in the WBNX ad.

> WHOM (now WZRC, I believe)
> broadcast full-time in Italian.

Maybe, but that's not reflected in the Radio Annuals handy to me.  In
the 1941 book, WHOM speaks of Jewish, Italian, German, and Polish
programming.  In 1945 and 1948 it's Italian, Polish, and English.
Jumping ahead to 1955, the WHOM ad spells out the following: 62 hours a
week in Spanish, 18 hours in Italian, 18 Polish, 12 German, 4½ Russian,
3½ Ukranian, "plus 21 hours a week devoted to our large Negro
following."