My radio died / my boss quit

It has not been a good week for me. For some reason the sun is setting earlier,
but I think I'll be able to figure that one out.

The best manager I every had, well, she just gave her notice (and won't take me
with her). but I think I know why!

My Olds car stereo is in a mode where it still thinks it has a cassette tape in
it, thus disabling the radio. It first occurred last evening as my wife popped
out a rock hits of the '80's tape. Some minor investigation accomplished
nothing. This morning I got in the car, and the radio worked fine, although the
clock now said 12:00.  I reset the clock, and had to reprogram the presets.

Everything was fine until I but WBZ into the third preset, and then radio
started flipping back a few times between non- existent cassette tape playing
and radio, then permanently to cassette tape mode.

I recall some members of the list saying the these cassette mechanisms were a
horror to work on. I'm in despair. My wife and I can do without the tapeplayer,
but the radio has got to work. Any quick (every possibly destructive) answers to
my problem.
Maybe a good lube job? Is it a mechanical problem or is the radio starting to
get brain dead?

WARNING, IF I DON'T GET THIS FIXED, MY CONTRIBUTIONS TO THIS LIST WILL DROP
SIGNIFICANTLY
(Okay, some of you may see that as a good thing :<)   )

Thanks

John
getting the GE SuperRadio ready to occupy the passengers seat