Re: CBS covers the news big-time

I hope you're not serious.  215 people were on the plane, including 129
Americans.  What I noticed was the coverage was much more restrained than the
coverage of the JFK Jr. coverage, when only 3 people were killed.  The Sunday
Taling Head shows covered the plane crash and then moved on to their
scheduled interviews.  By early afternoon, the broadcast networks were all
back to regular programming with only the news networks sticking with
continuing coverage.  This was the appropriate way to handle things unlike
the overkill with the JFK Jr. crash.  I think the coverage was appropriate
considering the number of people involved and the fact that the cause of the
crash is still unknown.

Our celebrity culture won another one this week: the Payne Stewart memorial
service was carried live on ESPN, CNN and Fox News.  The John Chafee funeral
was only on CSPAN.  The circumstances of Payne Stewart's death were certainly
odd and is death is certainly a tragedy for his friends and family but
something is out of kilter here.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

In a message dated 11/1/99 12:13:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,