This Week's LTAR

A couple of comments on this morning's LTAR:

Bob mentioned that WPTZ, Channel 5, in North Pole, NY was applying to
change its COL to Plattsburg.  Seems to me that in the mid-50s, when I
lived in Albany, WPTZ was in Plattsburg.  We couldn't get it on our TV,
but I remember seeing the listings in TV Guide.

Also, regarding WFCR's leasing of WTTT in Amherst, a few notes.  FIrst of
all, WFCR, whose studios are at the University of Massachusetts, is owned
by the five colleges, Amherst, Smith, Mt. Holyoke, Hampshire, and UMass,
who have an organization which promotes cooperation among the five,
including permitting students of one institution to take courses at the
others and at least one five-college academic program (Astronomy).
Probably the largest project of what was then the Four Colleges was the
founding, by the four colleges, of Hampshire College in the late 60s or
early 70s.  The call letters WFCR originally stood for "Four College
Radio" and now stands for "Five College Radio."

The leasing of WTTT used to be for weekdays (They actually call it "WFCR
on WTTT").   On weekends, they were simulcasting WRNX, the co-owned FM
station.  WRNX has only been around since sometime in the 90s.  WTTT has
been around since the early 60s.  Now, apparently, they're taking up the
entire WTTT broadcast day.  But I don't know whether that's 24/7 because
last I heard, WTTT was still a daytimer.  I don't know what sort of
nighttime authorization they have.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/