Re: (Fwd) Re: livin' la vida vinyl

Not that it should be any surprise, given that some of our programs rely
heavily on old obscure vinyl, but WMBR still has turntables.

The biggest challenge, I suspect, for any station that still has them
is keeping them maintained.  At MBR, we have Technics SP-15s in the
studios, and those haven't been manufactured in many years now.  Our
tech dept. has kept ours running, sometimes by cobbling together units
from parts scavenged from older carcasses of SP-15s, but in the long
run it's probably going to be a struggle, and there doesn't seem to be
any viable "professional quality" replacement out in the marketplace.
(I think the Technics SL-1200s - the portable model used by many club
DJs - are still being made, but we haven't found a way to satisfactorily
bolt them into the studio furniture, and without doing so we fear they
might sprout legs...)

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu