(Fwd) Re: livin' la vida vinyl

On 24 Oct 99,  David W. Harris wrote:

> While there remain a precious few radio studios with functioning
> turntables, it's rare to see those units actually functioning.  Most
> stations have long since disposed of their LPs and 45s.

I was surprised to discover last spring that WMUA at UMass still has three
functioning turntables in its main control room.  They told me at the time
that they still get a lot of new records on vinyl.  I suspect that college
stations are more likely than commercial stations to have turntables.

Of course, WJIB still has turntables -- and while I haven't been up there
to see, I assume WJTO does as well.  I wonder how many other commercial
stations still have them.  Then again, it's stretching a point to call
Bob's stations "commercial."

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/