pirate in Beverly?

My power was out today at my apartment in Beverly
for about an hour or so (tree fell on power wires
nearby) so I tuned in some radio on my recordable
AM/FM/cassette, and I heard the Barenaked Ladies on a
frequency equidistant between WGBH and WBUR. Thought
it was odd; two tunes later, a kid sounding like a
high school student came on to say I was listening to
WLMK, 89.3 FM. (I taped about 20 minutes of it.)

They were playing stuff like U2 and the Smashing
Pumpkins and gave the weather. A few minutes later
they shut off after saying they were broadcasting from
the Landmark School, and "we'll be back on about
8:30".
The Landmark School is next to Endicott College and
about a mile from my house.

Not sure if the station is OK under the flea-power
rules (a milliwatt or so?); maybe they have a special
permit or maybe they're just a pirate and the school
has no idea they're not following the FCC rules.
Just curious...again, the signal was received about a
mile away, and fairly clearly.