Parking the calls (was: Driving the calls (was: wrong call letters))

Rob Landry writes:
> However, when WBOS went country in July 1983 I tried to convince
Jane
> Duncklee, who was then running the station for Mr. Hoffman, to park
the
> "WBOS" call letters on the AM (WUNR) and pick something else for the
FM.

Can a station still 'protect' their calls by 'parking' them today?  Or
is it a right of first refusal?  Could there be a WHDH (AM) or WHDH-FM
given that Sunbeam has them on WHDH-TV Boston?  I hear of AMers in a
COL under different ownership from an FM with the same calls in a
different one.

Bill O'Neill