Parking the calls (was: Driving the calls (was: wrong call letters))

<<On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 10:59:38 -0400, "Bill O'Neill" <billo@erols.com> said:

> Can a station still 'protect' their calls by 'parking' them today?  Or
> is it a right of first refusal?

Yes.

Whichever station has had a callsign (or suffixed form thereof) for
the longest continuous period of time, *and* under continuous
ownership, has the authority to grant other stations use of the
callsign (or suffixed form thereof).

> Could there be a WHDH (AM) or WHDH-FM given that Sunbeam has them on
> WHDH-TV Boston?

I'm certain if someone in another market wanted to pay Ed Ansin enough
money, he'd be happy to let someone else use WHDH or WHDH-FM.  (After
all, it was Mugar, and not Sunbeam, which changed the callsign in the
first place, IIRC.)

- -GAWollman

- --