Re: Driving the calls (was: wrong call letters)

At 01:04 PM 9/15/99 -0400, Sven Weil wrote:
>One of the things that annoys me to no end about commercial radio in this
>country...overannouncing the station name.  (probably a subliminal reason
>why when I did my gig on the college stations I would make it sound like a
>"network" - on your station for the best new music - 22 minutes after the
>hour - etc. etc.
>
>Hell with all the promos for other shows I rand during my show...you bet
>that people remembered what station they were listening to. :-)

Yeah, both of them.  College radio and "real world" radio are 2 different
animals.  Commercial stations live and die by the ratings, judging by some
of the programming I've heard on college radio, I'm not sure everyone in
the studio is listening.  But it doesn't matter at college radio if no one
listens, it's a place where you can go and play dj and be obscure and no
one cares.  The fact is that radio is a very competitive business these
days, and if a station wants to succeed, they want you to be damn sure who
you're listening to.