Re: cbs/viacom

umar@nerodia.wcrb.com writes:

<< Look for broadcast TV, whether
 digital or not, to become increasingly irrelevant in a world increasingly
 served by cable and satellite TV >>

rob...

   with newer technologies available on the homefronts (hdtv for the home /
digital satellite receivers for the car/walkman/etc)...  and cable/satellite
services still charging $$$ for what is available over the air for free,
isn't there a chance that non-subscription services (read that:  over the air
for free) will make a strong comeback?  if the digital transmission can bring
a cleaner, clearer signal in without paying 50/60/70 per month to TimeWarner,
then watch me pull the plug.

and maybe someone can help me on this, but will digital transmission
television and radio be limited to just the "one stick", or will they, like
digital cell phone towers, be allowed to string a chain of repeaters and the
like?  if so, then that would help eliminate a lot of the spotty coverage
areas presently driving far too many consumers to dish/sat/cable companies.
up here in Portland, we get decent, although not outstanding, coverage from
our NBC, CBS, PBS, Fox and UPN affiliates.  ABC is still snowbound on the
rabbit ears here at casa igo, atop the hill in south portland.  (where, on a
clear day, we can see mt.washington).
thanks for any help on this.  (just an overnight jock still figuring out who
dot com is, and why everybody knows her)

chuck igo