Re: TALK96

Mike Thomas writes:
> I highly doubt it.  I don't think it's soon to be improved signal
will be enough to reach Boston,
> especially with WPLM sitting on first-adjacent 99.1. I would imagine
a lot of WSJZ's ratings came from
> Boston and it's more affluent suburbs.  That's why GM moved the
format from 99.5 to 96.9 a couple of
> years ago.  I don't think the Worcester market could support a jazz
station.  Most smaller markets can't.

The format swap of Country from (then) WBCS (96.9 Boston) to (then)
WOAZ (99.5 Lowell) was one of the most impressive maneuvers I can
recall.  As Mike notes, the Downtown and affluent suburbs were ripe
for the smooth jazz format, while the Boston-Merrimack Valley-So. NH
region was more inclined to country (already long-since established on
WOKQ).  WKLB's decent numbers seem to reflect that.

Bill O'Neill