Re: WJIB Programming

On 11 Aug 99,  Syzygy781@aol.com wrote:

> I've been listening to WJIB off and on for the past couple of weeks, and
> I've noticed a couple of different things. First, I can hear the signal
> very well in Lynn during the late night hours. . .I assume this is because
> the killer 12 watt nighttime signal carries now that CBL is off the air.
> However, I was very surprised to hear Bob on the air after 1AM earlier in
> the week, doing his usual morning show. I was also quite surprised to wake
> up to what seemed to be a French language program the following morning. I
> have noticed that there is a good deal of foreign language, religious, and
> talk programming on WJIB now. My question is, Is Bob shying away from the
> Beautiful Music format and instead going more toward Full Service or even
> LMA? Just wondering. . .

I imagine Bob may answer for himself when he gets around to it, but this
is what I know.  First, if you hear Bob in the wee hours of the morning,
it is likely to be on tape.  Bob has a couple of VCRs operating
automatically, and he can get about 6 hours of music on one videotape.
Which means that the station can run for at least 12 hours straight
unattended.  Perhaps longer if there are more devices that I don't know
about.

Bob pays for the station by selling lease time.  He sells two hours a
morning to Radio France International (which used to be on WBPS) and most
of the time on Saturday and Sunday.  I think most of the Saturday and
Sunday time is arranged by WRCA, but whether it's a formal LMA agreement
for those hours, I don't know.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/