Re: JFK Missing -- Coverage

Flying, as a hobby or a profession, is by and large a reasonably safe past
time.  On most days I would feel safer at 6000' than I would on I-95.

I wasn't able to catch much of the broadcast news on the incident.  Most of
what I picked up was from the CNN and MSNBC websites where I didn't see
anything about Kennedy's flying ability other than the fact that he
attended Flight Safety for his training.  Flight Safety is the Harvard of
the aviation industry.  They train everyone from the first time flyer all
the way up to and including the airlines.  A diploma from there is
considered to be golden in the flying world.  The implication thus is that
he had the best flight training available.

As a side note, while training I've had the opportunity to fly with four
pilots trained at Flight Safety.  Three of them were the absolute worst
pilots that I have ever flown with - arrogant know it all cowboys who were
over confident in their training.

Since Kennedy has only had his license less than a year, I would deduce
that he's a relatively low time pilot.

With respect to the flight, I'm glad to hear the media reporting that
several other pilots questioned the safety of the flight before it took
off.  VFR rules require 5 miles of visibility at night and, once you've
actually seen what 5 miles looks like when you're flying in it at 120+ MPH,
you'll see that its really not much.  Its been very hazy in the area for
the past few days.  Haze can be deceiving in that you might not notice it
on the ground but airborne its a major problem.  Haze at night can be
particularly troublesome as it turns the sky and sea into the same color
and eliminates your horizon reference.  Once this happens, combined with
the motion of the aircraft, your body very quickly loses its sense of up
and down.  Its *very* easy to become totally disoriented within a matter of
minutes and fly straight into the ocean without realizing what you are doing.

As for the actual flight, here's my opinion.  Let's see if the media picks
up on any of the points.

1.  I haven't checked the weather reports for the time in question but I'd
be willing to bet that they were reporting chance of marginal VFR and/or
IMC (Instrument meteorlogical conditions).

2.  If I *had* to make the flight in question, I'd plan the flight to
follow the coastline,  getting a clearance through NY's airspace and along
the bottom of CT to New Bedford crossing Rhode Island Sound to Martha's
Vineyard at a point where its reasonably close to land.

3.  If I weren't instrument rated and therefore could not file under
instrument flight rules, I would file a VFR flight plan and ask for VFR
flight following.  Having the extra set of eyes watching you can really
help if you're in a pinch.

4.  I would have made several calls enroute to Flightwatch to get updates
on the weather enroute, pilot reports and terminal conditions at Martha's
Vineyard (I think that they have an automated weather reporting
station).  If the weather started getting to be a factor, I would have
preselected an alternate airport, such as Providence, New Bedford, Newport
State or any of the airports along CT's coastline as alternates.

5.  I would have called a Flight Service Station (part of NOAA) for an up
to date weather briefing.  These calls are recorded and you must identify
your aircraft for a weather briefing.  I've heard no mention of him doing
this on the news.

It should be noted that all of the above references to filing and getting
weather or other services are all free to all pilots.  All that's required
is your airplane's tail number.

Given the hazy conditions, the temp and dew points on the islands and their
tendency to instantly fog over, I probably would not make the flight under
VFR and would consider it carefully under IFR.

 From the route that I saw plotted on the TV, I am guessing that he had
probably been navigating with a GPS and quite possibly had it slaved to the
autopilot.  This would explain the relatively direct routing that paid no
heed to the issue of single engine flight over large expanses of water.  I
can almost comprehend an attitude of "the autopilot will get me there and
all I have to do is land".

Its a tragedy that it happened.  Its even more a tragedy that two innocent
people had to lose their life for Mr. Kennedy's lapse in judgement.  I find
it even more tragic that the media is playing this as a loss to the Kennedy
family.  What about the other family that had misgivings about his flying
in the first place and then lost two of their daughters to it?

With respect to the search and rescue operation, this operation is
definately a bit more than they would do for Joe Sixpack and his golfing
buddies (unless one of his buddies was one of Clinton's buddies).  The
Coast Guard would send out a plane and/or a helicopter along with a couple
of ships to search the area.  The Civil Air Patrol (basically Boy Scouts
with airplanes - its an adjunct to the Air Force that teaches children from
12-18 air safety and search and rescue procedures) would perform an aerial
search.  You wouldn't see research vessels called in for sonar searches or
night time infrared scans.  It was reported by the media that Clinton had
put in the word to the various military agencies.

As for the mainstream media, why are they idolizing him?  Aside from being
the winner of the lucky sperm contest and being born into the Kennedy clan,
he is just another successful business man.  We don't need wall to wall
media coverage reporting the same facts over and over again.  I would have
rather watched the rerun of the Simpsons than the Fox talking heads on the
beach telling us that they didn't know anything.

OK, I'll get off of my soapbox now...

Brian Vita