Boston FM signals to the west (Was Re: 96.)9

>Bill O'Neil lwrote:
>>I was traveling westbound on the pike (out to Exit 6 in Springfield)
>>and scanning around the FM dial.  Was impressed to see how far west
>>WSJZ (96.9 Boston) kept a clean signal versus other Boston stations.

>Rick Kelly wrote:
>For some reason, 96.9 has always had a better signal out here than the
>other Boston stations.  I have no idea why.

        A lot of it is whether a co-channel or adjacent channel station
begins to wipe them out. Most of the major Boston signals, from 128 or Pru,
go good on the Mass Pike right out to the Sturbrdge exit area, where the
hills start getting bigger. Then it gets choppy. If you switch onto 84 west
for Hartford, some of them still are OK for a few miles over the Conn.
line. WBMX, WODS and WROR stay on for a while. WXKS goes early, because
WEBE in Westport on 107.9 starts hashing it up. WBCN loses out quite
quickly to the 104.1 in Hartford--also modern rock. WMJX starts to get hash
from WHCN on 105.9.  93.7 in Lawrence loses out to 93.7 in Hartford.  WMAS
on 94.7 starts wiping out WJMN and WHYN on  93.1 takes over from WBOS.