Re: CIQC & CKVL Move Positions

>>Bob Nelson wrote:<bluesradio_99@yahoo.com> said:
>> Does this mean people in certain parts of the Boston area will no
>> longer be picking up "something in
>> French" on 850 instead of the Red Sox game on WEEI?

>Garrett Wollman wrote:
>Presumably this depends on whether the CRTC accepts applications for
>the to-be-abandoned 850 channel.  (Makes me glad I managed to visit
>all of Montreal's AMs before they got killed.)
>Given the CRTC's history, it seems to me unlikely.  They don't seem to
>be particularly interested in licensing totally new radio stations in
>Montreal, and the only AM stations left who could move wouldn't want
>to -- CKAC has the best signal in town, and CFMB's is not bad now that
>they have 50 kW full-time on a less-crowded channel (1280).

        If you are correct, sir, and 1280 stays on 1280 and no one new
takes 850, that might be the best thing to happen to 850 in Boston since
Bob and Ray went on the air <g>. It would finally make having moved from
590 to 850 actually worthwhile[!]. But just to prove I'm a broken record
broken record, they still should try putting in a new ground system. Maybe
we could have a campaign to send in pennies they could melt down to do the
job <g>.

        Is WEEI absolutely stuck with its current nighttime protection of
KOA, along with the other stations on 850, or is there any chance it could
get a night pattern change to cover the west better?

        I also wonder whether out here away from Boston this might mean KOA
would again become more than a very occasional DX catch, usually in the
dead of night or just at dawn in winter. I think I only got it twice, and
poorly, in the past year. The CKVL move should mean I'll be able to listen
to WEEI at night a lot more reliably.