Greetings with info.

Hello everyone.

I am a new subscriber to the group, my name is Ted August and I live in
Bristol, RI and attend Rhode Island College in Providence.  Being General
Manager of the college's radio station, I have enjoyed reading all the info
since joining the group.  I hope I can help in providing information from
down this end of the woods.  Now for the info...

Not much out of the ordinary has been going on down here for the last couple
of months.  The only things that are notable are what is going on with the
unlicenced transmissions in the area.  The FCC finally shut down 89.3 FM,
which was running the WICE call letters playing classic hits at was rumored
to be 50 watts.  It was using the old WICE-AM jingles, and occasionally had
weather called in from a local meterologist from one of Providence's TV
stations.  The downfall of WICE came when the operator of WICE (not sure on
the name) tried to apply for WCVY 91.5 in Coventry, which is the public high
schools radio station.  A couple of stations in the area filed in objection
on behalf of WCVY, including the station manager at 88.1 WELH in Providence.
Supposedly, the illegal operator of 89.3 wanted to buy-out WELH, and was
very insistant about doing so despite being turned down several times by the
Wheeler School, owners of WELH.  The WELH GM was even shown the illegal
facilities of 89.3 in an atempt to sway him on the buy-out offer!  Well,
when the objection was filed it stated the applicant was already running an
illegal station on 89.3, and thats when the FCC came-a-knockin!  I do not
think is application for taking the license from WCVY is going anywhere
either.  Thought everyone would enjoy that story.

The only other interesting actvity is a spanish/religious station that
popped up on 105.5 in Providence.  I don't think it is licensed.  They are
being smart though, running in mono and not overmodulating their signal in
fear of giving interference to 50kw 105.1 WWLI (Lite 105) and 105.9 in
Boston.

Though my station is rather small (just the Student Union and the Dorms) I
enjoy listening and reading about local radio (and occasionally television)
from your mailing list.  Thanks.

Ted August