Re: reverb, etc

Rick Ganley wrote,

> At every station I've ever worked at (including my own), I've
> heard from a handfull of listners that have said "how come it
> doesn't sound like the album?" meaning the CD/ cassette/ LP sounded
> 'better'. Of course, you could go into a long explanation about
> compression to overcome noise floor/ road noise/ weak signal,
> equalization to give everything a uniform and signature sound,
> reverb to make the music sound "fuller" or stroke the talents ego,
> etc.

It was just the opposite with me:  When I was young and would get a
record, I always wondered why the record didn't sound as good as the
radio and was told that was because I just had a cheap record player and
that radio stations used a lot of power (though that explanation lost
all credibility when FM became a competing player and sounded just as
bad--I used to like to A/B WBZ AM-FM when they simulcasted the morning
news:  AM had a nice richly textured atmosphere, while the FM sounded
like you were in a padded closet!).

     ~Kaimbridge~