RE: WNEW in 1941 (was WHDH and Blue)

>Pete Ferrand wrote:
>I have a pretty clear memory of reading about this - WNEW
>was on 1230 prior to 1130. Clearing that frequency allowed
>WFAS to start up.

        My book of old radio station lists shows for 1936, WNEW, Newark,
N.J., 2.5 kW day, 1 kW night, on 1250 kHz. The next list I have is 1942 --
after NARBA. It's on 1130 with 1 kW and listed to NYC.
        The 1936 list has WOV in NYC on 1130 kHz with 1 kW, daytime only.
WOV is listed the same in the 1931 list, the next one that I have going
back.
        The 1250 kHz assignment in Newark predates WNEW. The 1931 list
shows three stations sharing time (two listed to Newark, the other to
Paterson).
        For 1130 kHz, this seems to be one of the minority of cases in
which for some reason NARBA did not change the frequency assignment,
really. 1130 with the same 1 kW was assigned to NYC before and after NARBA.
The other U.S. stations on 1130 moved up 30 kHz (KSL and WJJD).
        The 1250/Newark assignment moved up 30 kHz, giving us the present
1280 NYC assignment, essentially. The 1942 list shows WOV, 1280 kHz, 5 kW,
listed to New York City, sharing time with WHBI, listed to Newark, 2.5 kW
day/1 kW night.
        The 1942 lists has WFAS on 1240 kHz. In 1936, WFAS is listed on
1210 kHz with 100w. I have an old Broadcasting yearbook that lists the WFAS
start date as 1932, so I don't think there is the connection you mentioned.
It seems as though it just moved up 30 kHz with NARBA.