Sun rise/set (Was Re: WCCM and CJAD fight it out in Lowell)

>Paul H. wrote:
>Actually, it makes sense. Since Montreal is both North (later summer
>sunshine at higher latitude, even at the same longitude)and West of
>Lawrence (later sunsets all year, because of the more westerl longitude),
>local sunset in Montreal for June is most likely to be 9:00PM.
>
>The reverse happens here (Gtr Boston) in winter, when the NYC stations
>(for example) get an extra 15 (or 30) minutes of daytime power after
>Boston, but do not enjoy that same advantage in summer.

        On June 15 (the day of the month used to set the antenna switch
times), EDT sunset is 2023 in Boston and approximately 2044 in Montreal.
Due to the wonders of nature, sunrise, however is the just about the same
(507 Boston; 505 Montreal). All this is according to the U.S. Naval
Observatory website. It's a great place for calculating this information.
It's at:  <http://aa.usno.navy.mil/AA/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html>
        In December, the time relationships are reversed. Sunrise is
earlier in Boston (706 vs. 727 on the 15th), while sunset is the same (1613
vs. 1611).
        I have given the times for the city centers (and in the case of
Montreal, I approximated the latitude and longitude numbers off a map, so
there's a definite plus/minus factor). Each antenna site is different. You
can get those numbers on the FCC database. WCCM's switch time in June is
probably rounded off to 2030 and CJAD's to 2045. So this particular CJAD
trouble should only be for 15 minutes for WCCM (not to say that doesn't
count).
        WEEI also gets a bit of this effect in the summer from CKVL,
especially to the west of Boston, where WEEI's night pattern cuts back the
signal before CKVL cuts power.