Re: Boston Network Radio Affiliations: 1950's and 1960's.

On 14 Jun 99,  Dan Strassberg wrote:

9:00 to noon was handled by Stan Richards and noon to
> 2:00 PM by Norm Tulin (later known as Norm Stevens at WHN New York--now
> WEVD).

I remember a Norm Stevens who did a Sunday morning children's program on
WORL in the late 50s.  We listened to it just after "Children's Playhouse"
on WHDH.  He was called "Uncle Norm" and was replaced, eventually, by an
"Uncle Duane," whom Uncle Norm called "Duane the Drain."  Rhyming names
like that ("Polly the Dolly" was another) were common on the show.

The "Children's Playhouse" on WHDH lasted for many years.  I think I
remember first listening to it when I was about 3 years old.  We listened
to it regularly until we moved to Albany and again after we moved to
Bedford until, at some point, I must have decided I was too old for it and
lost interest.  Anyone know how long it continued, or anything about the
hostess, who was called "Robin"?

> I am curious to know when this music-and-news format ended and what
> replaced it. I know that Stan Richards was on WILD (along with Bill
> Marlowe and Joe Smith--from WEZE) after someone named Nelson Noble
> purchased or leased the station from Bartell Media (of Milwaukee and San
> Diego), which bought the station and tried a top-40 format for a short
> while.
>
> The AM news guy was Len Libman who was a BU student. Len later did stints
> at WMEX (as Michael J Rhodes Jr) and WTAO before landing at WEEI when it
> became an all-news station. As far as I know, Len long ago left radio.
> After 9:00 AM, when Libman went off to classes down the street at BU, the
> news duties at WORL were handled by another big-voiced guy Hank Elliot.
> Elliot also did the music shift from 6:00 PM to signoff during the summer.
> I never heard of Elliot again after he left WORL.
>
> I don't know whether Carter Broadcasting acquired WORL directly from
> Pilgrim Broadcasting, which was the owner in 1956. There may have been an
> owner in between. I believe, however, that the ownership had changed when
> the call-sign changed to WRYT. I think the mostly religious brokered-time
> programming began when the call-sign changed. I think that WRYT was meant
> to stand for "right", which seems appropriate for a station with a
> religious format. It wasn't _all_ religious, though. I believe that Gus
> Saunders' cooking show began while the calls were WRYT, as did the Irish
> music on weekend afternoons.

> Dan Strassberg (Note: Address is CASE SENSITIVE!)
> ALL _LOWER_ CASE!!!--> dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
> (617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/