Re: changes in 50s radio-- some possible answers

On 13 Jun 99,  Donna Halper wrote:

> In March of 1956, Variety announced rumours of WBZ dropping the NBC
> network and going to a more pop music intensive approach.  It had just
> hired Alan Dary and Norm Prescott, and was in the midst of creating what
> would be known as the "Live Five" (no network stuff-- all live d.j.'s) by
> 1957.  By April of 1956, Bob and Ray's 5-6 pm show was replaced, and while
> I can't find the clipping that announced the official date, the clippings
> I have indicate that NBC was dropped in the late fall of 1956 -- after the
> last of the "Live Five" was hired.

Sounds about right.  I was still in Albany at the time, but I remember
listening to Monitor and hearing a mention of WNAC as the NBC affiliate in
Boston, which surprised me.  I didn't really believe it until we moved to
Bedford, in May 1957, and I heard for myself that WNAC was both NBC and
Mutual.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/