Re: changes in 50s radio-- some possible answers

On 14 Jun 99,  Dan Strassberg wrote:

> And the studios were directly across from the main entrance to MIT on Mass
> Ave in Cambridge, on the second floor of a two-story building that, I
> believe, later burned to the ground. I don't think the complex on Western
> Ave in Allston had yet been constructed, and I'm not sure what WGBH did
> for studios immediately after the fire.

I remember this.  I heard them sign on that afternoon from their
transmitter site (or so they said.).  The various commercial stations in
Boston donated equipment, and they soon were operating from studio space
in the Museum of Science.  I believe they stayed there until the Western
Avenue location was ready.

I remember getting the Student Council in high school to hold a benefit
dance to make a donation to WGBH.  I think we got a DJ from WCOP gratis,
but I don't think we made much because it snowed that night and the roads
were bad.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/