Re: WLAW-680

I think that David Harris found a copy of an old
newspaper (Eagle-Tribune?) that contained a WLAW program
schedule from a time either just before or just after
WLAW became an ABC affiliate. (I think the name of The
Blue Network had already changed to ABC.)

I'm also curious about how close WVDA's program schedule
(right after WVDA started up) was to WLAW's program
schedule just before WLAW died. Were the local air
staffs of WLAW and WVDA more or less the same? Was WVDA
initially an ABC affiliate? I'd guess not, because I
think WCOP was an ABC affiliate (it hadn't yet been
purchased by Plough Inc--which turned it into an
independent). WVDA, being licensed to Boston, unlike
WLAW, couldn't carry ABC if WCOP did.

I was still in college, in Troy NY, when WNAC moved to
680 and WVDA took over 1260. Around that time, an Albany
station, WXKW-850, went dark because of technical
problems with its directional array that were never
resolved. At least one WXKW announcer, John Mountier
(great voice, great delivery) moved to Boston and joined
WVDA. Several years later when I moved to Boston to
attend graduate school at MIT, he was still at WVDA
(which I think were still the 1260 calls).

I arrived in Boston in early June 1956, just 43 years
ago. I believe that WBZ had only recently dropped NBC
and become an independent. I could be wrong, though;
that might have happened shortly _after_ I arrived.

I'm not positive that in June '56, the 1260 calls were
still WVDA, but I think they were. I think so because I
seem to remember the station being sold later on to Air
Trails (or was that Great Trails?) and the call sign
being changed (to WEZE). I think that, maybe, by June
'56, WVDA had become the NBC affiliate, replacing WBZ.

I'm pretty sure that by June '56, Plough Inc already
owned WCOP and that WCOP was an independent. This leaves
unanswered the question of what station carried ABC in
Boston at that time.

WEEI-590 was CBS (O&O), WNAC-680 was Yankee Network and
Mutual. (Later on, WNAC also carried some NBC
programming, but I don't think that happened immediately
after WBZ dropped NBC.) I think that WVDA-1260 was NBC.
WHDH-850, WBZ-1030, WCOP-1150, WMEX-1510, and WBOS-1600
were independents. The rest of the stations in the
market were daytimers and the four radio networks did
not usually affiliate wirh daytimers. So I'm unclear
about what station carried ABC. And if I'm wrong--that
is, if WEZE was the ABC affiliate, what stion carried
NBC? Or did NBC go without a Boston affiliate after WBZ
became an independent and before WNAC started to carry
some NBC programming?

I was in the Boston area when most of these changes took
place. I followed them assiduously at the time, but it
was a long time ago. Although I pride myself on having a
good memory, particularly about things in which I am
strongly interested, a lot of the details have become
cloudy. Can someboy fill me in? Donna? David?