a successful morning show without bits?

 listeners seem to be
> "warm" to an "afternoon drive type" approach to their mornings.....ya
> know....no games, gimmicks etc. just tell me the time, weather, the score
> of the game and play the hits.  What do you think?
>
> J.J.

J.J. & group:
I did the above on morning drive in Tampa in 1976 at the old CHR Q105
(WRBQ) and we
went from 8th to 4th 12+ in one book!  (I'd worked 6-10pm at Q105 for
the previous 3 years, wanted on middays, and agreed to work 6-9am M-Satr.
for  9 months temporarily til the morning guy they wanted to hire
sat out a non-compete. I was moved to noon-3pm after the 9 months.
The point is....I didn't do bits...I wasn't expecially funny, just tight,
sounded like a person,
kept it moving, with a few full-service elements like you mentioned
above...and
it worked! I think that shocked them! Sure did me!

Ah memories.....!

TD/Akron-Cleveland, Ohio