Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 4/23: WABY Goes All-News

At 01:55 AM 4/30/99 -0400, Mike Thomas wrote:
>Actually, WXLO cracked a one share in the last Boston book 12+ (we got a
1.2.)
>However, WXLO is not trying to be a Boston station--We're catering to
Metrowest
>and Worcester county listeners.  Interesting to note that WXRV-Haverhill--the
>Boston wannabe station, couldn't muster a one share, but WZID-Manchester NH
>could.  You've gotta wonder how much longer "The River" can keep flowing....

Now that Worcester is considered part of the Boston metro, I wonder how
long WXLO will resist the temptation to portray themselves as a "Boston"
station, much as WAAF has been doing for several years.  OTOH, WXLO's col
is Fitchburg, and I rarely hear any references to that city outside of
legal ID (which is buried anyway).

As far as WXRV goes, they never got any numbers as WLYT either.  AAA has a
certain amount of snob appeal attached to it...I'm sure that's got a lot to
do with why most stations with that format keep it, it's sure not a
ratings-getter much of anywhere.