Re: Stop the Narrow-casting

At 09:10 PM 4/3/99 -0500, Douglas J. Broda wrote:

>a) Most oldies stations don't seem to jock in the same style as existed
>then. You don't hear a sound like Drake or its competitors on most 60s
>stations, and the jocks on 70s stations don't seem much like 70s Top 40
>jocks to me.

That's just fine with me, thank you.  We're talking stations that are
targeting a 40+ demo, do you really think that screaming motormouth jocks
who talk over every song ( and in the case of some stations like WABC
during them, too), good guys chime time, jocks feeling the need to do
character voices whether or not they can, etc, etc would wear well?  I
think not.  It's not 1969 anymore.

>b) More importantly, the music on most oldies stations doesn't run across
>the Top 40 gamut of the time. If it doesn't play "Hello Dolly" and
>"Everybody Loves Somebody" at the same time as it plays Motown and the
>Beatles, it's not mid-60s Top 40, it's "hits of the mid-60s that we like
>and doesn't include stuff that isn't rock." Similarly, Top 40 in my teens
>included "You Light Up My Life" in all its vomit-inducing splendor, "Ben,"
>"Billy, Don't Be A Hero," the Osmonds, etc. etc., which is stuff I haven't
>heard on many 70s-formatted stations lately. In short, it isn't the radio
>of our childhood and teens.

Again, that's just fine with me.  If I never hear another tune by the
Osmonds, Leif Garrett or the Captain & Tennille it would be too soon.  IMHO
an oldies station should be a contemporary station that happens to play
music from an era long ago....it doesn't have to be a carbon copy of that
era.  I don't wear my hair the same way I did in 1969, don't drive the same
car I did, I'd like to think my tastes have matured somewhat, too.  A
little nostalgia is fine once in a while but I'd rather live in the
present, thank you.