The Rock Garden....94-W-C-G-Y (was: Mix moves out

- -----Original Message-----
From: SteveOrdinetz <steveord@xtdl.com>
To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
<boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Date: Tuesday, March 30, 1999 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: Mix moves out

>At 09:14 AM 3/29/99 -0500, David Merrill wrote:
>>I heard that WBMX has moved down to the former WBOS/WSJZ Charles River
digs
>>over the weekend.  That leaves Boston's Entercom stations together all by
>>themselves across from the Pru.  Something is definitely happening on
April
>>1 to 93.7 The Eagle.  That is all that is known about WEGQ's fate.
>>Maybe WCGY will be reborn - I miss the "Rock Garden."  :)
>>

>Did WCGY ever even show up in the Boston book?

(If my memory serves me correctly) I Seem to remember WCGY getting their
best Boston #'s (a 2.2 or 2.4) when they were the automated 'Rock Garden'
format.  One of the precursers of the current day AC format.  (Contemporary
music with the  'bertha butt boogie's'.)

It wasn't long before long that the staff at 'CGY started to tinker with the
packaged TM format.  I don't know if it was the mentality that "we can do it
better on our own"...or that they got tired of paying a monthly fee to
TM....or that they wanted to increase the spotload beyond the limits set
forth by TM.....but the resulting incarnations never sounded as smooth as
the original 'Rock Garden'.  (With their distinctive jingles et al).

And I don't think that I ever saw 'CGY do anything serious in the numbers
ever again.

One problem was that CG kept getting his kids involved.

$.02

BM